At the Mobile World Congress 2016 #MWC16 in Barcelona, a lot of OEM’s and Mobile phone manufactures showcased their products, a lot of people were very disappointed with the new Samsung Galaxy 7, but LG was a bit innovative with the first modular phone LG G5.
OEM manufacturer Qualcomm at the event is set to showcase their new processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Processor which is already been showcased on the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the LG G5.
Most people are tires of the same Smartphone’s with just little changes from year-to year, as most new smartphones are just upgrades of previous once with little or no new innovation.
Over the years innovations in smartphones have been reduced to upgrades in processors, internal memories, battery life, camera specs etc but in the real sense innovation was supposed to mean introduction of new technologies like the first smartphones to have a fingerprint sensor, wireless charging etc. Are mobile phone manufacturers down with innovative ideas?
Keeping tract of the ‘recent’ innovations in smartphones, here are 11 most recent smartphone innovations.
- Modular functionality: The just launched LG G5 is probably the first modular phone with an expansion port at the bottom. The expansion port allows the user to extend the functionality of the phone with the available LG expansion park, LG G5 owners can buy a camera pack called the LG Cam Plus that adds an additional battery and physical controls for the G5’s camera or the park which adds more audio functionality to the device, this seems to be the first phone with a switchable part.
- Dual Lens cameras: Dual lenses on mobile phones becoming popular like on the LG V10 with a dual camera for a perfect selfie picture. iPhone 7 was also rumored to come with dual lens camera.
- 4k display resolution (4,096 x 2,160): Some recent manufacturers has moved on to 4k ultra HD display, although some people see a display screen with 4K resolution in a phone as ridiculous symbols of technological overkill. Sony Xperia Z5 is said to be the first smartphone to have that.
- Inbuilt projector: Smartphones now come with inbuilt projectors, which will come handy for a lot of people. The Samsung galaxy Beam is a major device with this tech innovation.
- Dual screen: notably in the LG V10 which has a secondary screen at the top of the main screen with a 160 x 1040 pixels, 2.1 inches screen that displays notifications, this screen consumes less power and keeps the user updated without having to unlock the main screen.
- Wireless charging: which was a cool innovation, charging smartphones with a wireless charging pad has come to stay as most phone manufacturers are implementing the technology like the Nokia Lumia 920, LG Nexus, Samsung Edge etc.
- Dual video recording: Simultaneous recording front and rear cameras this can be found on phones like LG Optimus G Pro, Samsung Galaxy S4 etc.
- Flexible phones: LG’s G Flex and Samsung’s Galaxy Round are examples of phones with a flexible display. Take note; a flexible phone doesn’t mean the phone will bend, its still a rigid phone with a bent display
- Screen sharing: Displaying a screen seamlessly between various devices without wires or even a network connection or Miracast. Samsung has also launched MultiScreen SDK, which allows Android and iOS apps to connect and show content on SmartTVs.
- Infrared support for remote control: As found on HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 IR blaster for controlling devices that are normally operated only by pressing a remote control key.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Apple followed Motorola adding a fingerprint reader in its Flagship phone iPhone 5s in 2013 and since then it has been a great innovation in the phone industry.
From the list which company do you think has been more innovative over the past years?