The statistics of students using cell phones in schools have increased dramatically over the years, although so many schools have banned the use of cell phones in school totally, while others restrict the use of cell phones in school.
Generally, there have been different opinions on the use of cell phones in schools by different people as some see the use of cell phones in schools as an advantage to the students in learning, connecting with parents when they come to pick them up, in the case of emergencies etc.
Most students don’t just use their cell phones to text, play games or make calls in the school, they do even more.
The use of cell phones by students over the years in schools have lead to an increasing level of cheating in exams with the help of cell phones as students now use cell phones to cheat in exams and tests.
This is the new form of exam malpractice that has taken over the traditional methods of cheating in exams, a Google search on “how to cheat in exams and not get caught” will amaze you how many online tutorials are out there teaching students how to cheat with technology (cell phones, smart watches and calculators)
A study by McAfee on teen internet behavior shows that 48% of teens admitted to have looked up answers to a test, exam, assignments online, 22% of them said they cheated specifically on a test using their cell phones, 14.1% admitted to looking up how to cheat with cell phones online.
There are several ways a student can cheat in exams with cell phones, smart watches, calculators and other tech gadgets.
How students use gadgets to cheat in exams
- Cell phones with internet: students cheat in exams with a cell phone with internet on it by looking up the answers to the exam questions online.
- Calculators: students also cheat with calculators, this are mostly some hi-spec calculators that can store data, students cheat in exams with calculators by storing formulas and text in the calculator.
- Notepad on gadgets: most gadgets have notepads where texts can be written and stored, some students store notes in this and use it during exams, notes mostly can be transferred to such gadgets from another gadgets or a computer.
- Taking photo of their notes: some students take photos of their notes and store it on their cell phone; most times this will be a diagram or a formula.
- Audio record their note: some students go as far as recording their notes with a voice recorder and playing it doing exams.
- Sending SMS: some students text their friends answers to questions and they circulate the answers within themselves or text a friend a question and get the answer.
This has been a major concern for some people which has given rise to some counter technology like the PocketHound by Berkeley Varitronics Systems which was unveiled, the PocketHound is a portable cellphone detector designed to let teachers covertly track cheaters. The PocketHound works by vibrating and lighting up each time there is a nearby transmission from a mobile phone — a sign a cheater could be in action. Once the device is set off, teachers can nab the offender .
Students who cheat in exams should know that cheating is a form of dishonesty, cheating carries serious consequences such as automatically failing the test, suspension or even expulsion and the cheater has gained a bad reputation and trust with their teachers and peers.
What’s your thought on the use of cell phones and gadgets in schools?