Published on June 14th, 2013 | by Wilson88
How to Increase the Internal Memory of Android Devices
Most of the low end android devices comes with a very low internal storage which after few downloads of applications you start getting low memory notification. The good news is you can increase the internal memory.
First your android device has to be rooted, if you have the Tecno P3 or N3 look here how to root them easily.
There is absolutely no way you can increase the size of your phone’s internal storage but you can allocate some part of your memory card for your phone to install applications to.
What you will need
- Your android phone (must be rooted)
- Memory card (2Gb and above only)
- A memory card reader (dont use a phone!)
- A computer
- Download and instal MiniTool from here to your computer
- Link2SD application (should be downloaded on Google play store
- Backup your memory card (copy all the data on it to a folder on your computer)
Steps to increasing your android internal memory
Step 1: Backing up your memory card:
- before attempting this, make sure you have backed up all the files and folders on your memory card to your computer by easily coping the whole memory card and pasting into a folder on your computer.
Step 2: Partitioning your memory card:
- connect your memory card to your computer using a memory card reader (dont use a phone and USB cable) and take note of the letter assigned to it by your computer on my computer page example (F:), (D:) etc .
- Open the installed MiniTool on your computer.
- Right click on your memory card letter (example D:, F;) and click delete.
- Now you will see the memory card showing unallocated space, right click on it again and select create as.
- Select primary
- If your memory card size is less than 2GB, select file system FAT. If it’s more than 2GB, select FAT32.
- Now go down and reduce the size of your memory card on partition size so that there will be space on unallocated space (that will be your added memory, so you can choose any size you want)
- Now, choose the unallocated space again and select Create as -> Primary
- Now, choose EXT2 file system. You can let the whole space take over in this step.
- Now click ok and click apply on the top menu.
- Wait for it to finish and you have successfully partitioned your memory card.
- copy your data backed up on your computer back to the memory card and insert it into your phone and boot it
Step 3: Configuring Link2SD:
- Now open Link2SD which you have downloaded from Google play store on your phone
- Link2SD will ask you to select the file system of your second permission, choose ext2.
- Now click okay, the phone will ask to get restarted, click oka so it will restart itself.
- A dialogue box will come up after the restart click okay
- Now their is a funnel-like icon on the top part click it you will see different options choose on internal (see picture below)
- Now tap the option key below, and select multi-select, then press the select all button. All of these apps will be selected.
- Now still on the option key choose action then click create link
- Select the three options (link application file, link dalvic-cache file,link library files) then click ok
- Link2SD will then move all those apps and games then create a link with them from the second partition of your SD card. Touch OK when done
- Now you are done but to make sure this happens every single time you install an app you should goto settings from the menu and click on auto link and then select the three options again and ok….thats done
- You have now free of the low memory issue with your phone.
This a a suggestion from Muhammad Amjad Iqbal from Pakistan (Ph: 00923009124562) on How to increase android memory and stop the warning of low memory:
I also had low memory problem with my android phone and and used the following steps to root my phone and convert system apps to User apps and get rid of low memory problem.
First go to the settings of your Android device and do these steps: Settings> Security >Check “Unknown Sources”. This will enable you to install apps from third parties. Once this is done you can go ahead and download Framaroot so that you can install it on your Android device.Run it. Now Click on super user and then button very below will root you Phone.
Now in Google Play Store download “/system/appmover” and install it, Run it , It might not show you your apps with another option not checked, when you check it it will download another softwere , let it be downloaded in installed.
Now again open “/system/appmover” app. Using this app you can convert system apps to user apps. DO NOT convert core apps like android system, messeging, google play, gmail, camera, phone etc to user apps, Convert only those apps which also can be downloaded from google play, like Skype, Viber, Facebook, Twitter, talk , maps , Sound recorder and others.
Converting each app requires restart you phone.
After converting , these apps can be moved from phone to SD card just by clicking “move to SD” or by using apps like “apps2sd”, “link2Sd” etc and you internal space can be free.
Remember: Which apps you converted will be no more available when you “Factory Rest” your phone and you will have to download them again, which is no problem and can be easily downloaded from google play, please only convert those apps which can be downloaded from google play and are not effective on phone performance, like skype, Facebook, Viber, Twitter, messenger, talk etc.